The grocery stores are putting out the last of Summer fruits and I’ve been trying to take advantage as much as possible. I’ve mainly been adding fresh fruit to my morning smoothies, but when I was asked to make cupcakes for a small get together, I wanted to incorporate fruit somehow. I headed to the grocery store without a recipe in mind, only to be greeted by the best looking blueberries. They were bright blue, plump and looked so sweet. In that moment, I got the idea for Lemon Blueberry cupcakes and they honestly might be my new favorite! Yes, I’m cheating on my beloved Cookies and Cream. Light and airy lemon cake combined with fresh, juicy blueberries and topped with my zesty lemon cream cheese frosting made for the perfect summertime dessert. I love how the warm blueberry oozes out when you take a bite. Easy to make and a hit at dinner, my only suggestion for next time would be to make more!
¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
¾ cup cake flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. milk, at room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3/4 cups of all- purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
5. Reduce the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just incorporated.
6. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour. Using a spatula gently fold the berries into the cake batter.
7. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups.
8. Bake 21-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool in the muffin pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, top with lemon cream cheese frosting.