It’s one of my favorite times of the year: berry season! The supermarkets have an abundance of these sweet little fruits in vibrant colors of red and blue. In the Summer, I use fresh berries in my cooking all the time. Whether it’s in cupcakes, muffins, smoothies, or even as a base for a sauce, I’m always looking for ways to incorporate them in my dishes. Berries are such a versatile fruit, they can practically be used in any dish to enhance or compliment flavor. I recently made this Summer Berry Salad to bring as a side dish for a Memorial Day BBQ I attended. It is super simple to prepare and I didn’t have to use the stove or oven to make it (a plus when it’s hot outside). This salad was such a light and refreshing side, not to mention festive looking, that I’ve since made smaller portions of it to eat as a snack at work.
1 Pint Strawberries
1 Pint Blueberries
½ Pint Rapsberries
½ Pint Blackberries
Juice of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Orange
2 TBSPN Sugar
Mint for Garnish
- Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Add strawberries, blueberries, rapsberries and blackberries into one bowl. Mix together.
- Squeeze juice of lemon and orange over berries.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Sprinkle mint over salad for garnish.
- Let chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.